Sunday, November 22, 2009

How lucky am I?

Last weekend I headed to Utah to watch Courtney compete in the Dansport competition, tend to more wedding details with Kristy and visit with Brad. As an added bonus, Kacey came for the weekend with Scarlet and Rhode. It was a wonderful weekend!

Watching Courtney perform was so much fun! Even though Courtney has been dancing for many years, she only started ballroom a year and a half ago when she came to BYU. She just loves it and it seems to love her! Even though I know a lot about dance, ballroom is a whole other world that I know very little about. This was my first ballroom competition and I was mesmerized by all of the beautiful costumes and rhinestones. The pictures don't do them justice. Courtney competed in Standard, Smooth, Latin and Paso Doble. She has quickly moved up the ranks and is currently competing in some pretty high levels. She made it to the quarter finals and semi finals in each of her dances so she was very happy with that. (I'm still trying to understand the whole process!) Right now she has two different partners - Tim for Latin and Paso Doble and Jake for Standard and Smooth. She and Tim won 3rd place for Paso Doble. Yeah! I just enjoyed every second of watching her dance. I am sure that I was beaming with pride!!

Here is her Standard costume:



This is her Latin costume:


Courtney & Tim - 3rd place in Paso Doble. (This was a class competition which means they compete against everyone in the Latin class they are taking. They are not allowed to wear costumes in class competitions.)



Brad, Kacey and Rhode cheering her on:



Courtney's cheering section:





Scarlet was entertained with Grandma's scarf (but not for long!):



She loved watching her Aunt Courtney:



See for yourself how amazing she is! Here are a few video clips.

Courtney - Paso Doble:



Waltz & Quick Step:



Foxtrot:



Samba:



Rumba:




While I was there, Kristy and I were able to attend to a few more wedding details. So far every time that Kristy has come to Utah to visit Trevor, I have been there too. I feel a little like the Asian grandma who has been assigned to chaperone the couple! Trevor is probably a little worried that everywhere Kristy goes, her mother follows. Lucky for him, though, I have 5 daugthers so I don't have too much time to hover even if I wanted to!


Kristy's former roommates threw her a shower and it was very nice. In attendance were previous roommates, mission companions and relatives. Poor Kari who organized and planned the whole thing came down with the flu that day. Luckily Randi took charge and simply followed Kari's directions. It was so sweet of all of them!


Kristy had to chew a huge piece of bubble gum for every answer she got wrong. There was quite a wad in her cheek!





Kristy with Liberty and Jen Day. Twister anyone?




She received lots of nice gifts. Some were more suitable for viewing than others so I will spare her!



Kristy is fortunate to have such good friends!



Jamie Peterson (now married), Kacey and Rhode:





It was so much fun to enjoy all of these different activities with my kids. I am so blessed!

Brad and mom (Hey, I actually got in a picture!)




I am so glad Kacey made the drive to be there. I love spending time with her and I love seeing my grandbabies. Kacey is such a good mom. Her kids don't even know how lucky they are but someday they will!





Courtney, Brad and Kristy:




Scarlet calls Rhode "Rhode man" and it sounds like she's calling him Roman. It's very cute and so is he!

The only down side to the weekend was that I came down with a cold. Courtney, Kristy and Brad all had cold syptoms as well. No one seemed to have the Swine Flu so we can't really complain. For that reason, we didn't go and try to see the new babies (Cali's Fiona and Ashley's Henry.) Other than that, it was a wonderful weekend and I loved every second of it. I truly am blessed!

3 comments:

Angie said...

sounds like an amazing weekend! what are the chances of courtney giving us a private showing of her skills...and sort of "dance for your life" scenario at christmas?

Cougar Glenn said...

Very lucky! You have beautiful kids and grand kids. In my next life I am going to be a dancer!

Tricia Kuo said...

I enjoyed watching those videos so much! I just love looking at courtney dance! and as for Asian grandma hahaha it made me laugh so hard XD!