Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mockingjay Rebuttal and Blogging Etiquette...

I am so glad that at least some people agreed with me and really surprised that more didn't. I was quite flabbergasted that most of my offspring disagreed with me! What the hec??? I guess everyone has a right to their opinion - even if it's wrong. Ha Ha!

As I was discussing it in person with a few people, I remembered that I liked the first book more than I admitted in my review. I remembered that there were quite a few moments when I was lost in Suzanne Collins' imaginary games. So I just want to be sure to give credit where credit is due. (I'm sure that will mean the world to her!)

I do have to wonder if some of my kids were "skimming?" Some of the missing details may not have been so apparent if one were skimming. I am not a good skimmer. I don't know why but I'm just sure I am going to miss vital information if I don't read every word. It's not a conscious choice, I just can't skim.

I loved all of your comments (except Kacey's - her opinion means more to me than most and she didn't even share it in detail so let's make her all feel bad about that.)

Kathy - no one has ever called me a supermodel before and I'm sure no one ever will again. You were already one of my favorite people but now you have been inducted into my personal Hall of Fame. (Sorry, there's no trophy or plaque... not even a t-shirt.) Congratulations!

Brenda - you called me adorable and that is so generous! It's not enough to get you into the Hall of Fame but... a few more comments like that and you can expect an invitation in the future.

Blogging etiquette:

Non-bloggers don't understand that comments mean a lot to a blogger. Not all readers realize that the comments are often more interesting than the blog. I'll often ask David what he thought of so-and-so's comments and he tells me, "I don't read the comments." I tell him that he is missing out and he needs to read the comments.

When Kacey first started her blog I would read it but I wouldn't comment because I didn't know how, but I didn't think it was a big deal. It became apparent that it meant something to Kacey so I figured out how to comment and tried to leave one when I read her entries which was an easy and fun thing to do once I understood it.

When I started my own blog, then I finally understood about the comments! It's so nice to know who is reading your blog even if someone just says "Hi!" Then some of the comments are so hilarious. Jared Bates' comments are a treat! He is so funny. So is Angie. It must run in the family! Comments are just plain fun to get.

I am thrilled that people actually take time to read my blog. That's not really why I do it. I do it mostly as a record for me of the things that are going on and I think that's why most people do it, but it's so fun to hear back from cyberspace. It is so nice to stay connected with friends and family and even nicer to find you have a connection with people you barely know and get to become better friends with them in this way. It cracks me up when people shamefully admit that they blogstalk me. No shame in that. Blogstalk away! You're all invited!!!

Now, even though I know how to comment, it doesn't always mean that I have time to comment and I think we can all appreciate that. So if you don't have time - that's okay. But let me say this on behalf of all bloggers out there...

If you are continually reading a person's blog, then please leave a comment from time to time! We have site meters. We know you are reading our blogs!! (We just don't know who you are - at least I don't. Maybe the CIA does.) I think most of us bloggers welcome readers, if not we would go private. But please... leave a comment... at least occasionally. Getting a google account is free and easy and it doesn't lead to any unwanted emails that I am aware of.

So to those of you who left your opinions of Mockingjay and dieting - thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed them. It's not too late. What is your opinion of the book? Or of dieting? Or of people not leaving comments on blogs? Now's your chance!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree!! With all of it!! (Except I haven't read Mockingjay, so I really can't say much there.) I know that I have a BUNCH of people that come to my blog regularly, but NEVER comment, so I don't know who they are at all. It can be a little frightening! SO hear, hear!! Way to tell them Peggy!

Douglas and Connie Jones Earl said...

You are a good read because you have an opinion and because it agrees with me, I consider you usually to be right. Doug E

Myca said...

I totally agree peggy....sometimes it's just nice to have some one's input or opinion or just a nice comment. You would be amazed how many times a comment has cheered me up, made my day, or given me some insight I really needed.
And I can't comment about the books cause I never read them!

Kristy said...

Ooh you totally called Kacey out, 'thems fightin words. Excited for the rhetoric battle that is sure to ensue.

Kacey Nielsen said...

I love that you just admitted that out loud. We are all "comment whores" (excuse my language) but few are willing to just go out and say it. (By the way, you see the 18 comments on my last blog? Just sayin...)

And by the way, I was going for shock value with my comment. Your million words knocked down by my few... it was dramatic! That and Rhode had to pee pee at the moment...

Angie said...

Oh I love leaving comments, mostly because I love giving my opinions on pretty much anything, and feel it's my duty to pass along my correct views on things.

But I also love getting comments. When I print out my blog every year, it's prints the comments too, and nothing is funner than going back and reading the comments left by family and friends through the years.


but now I feel pressure to be witty with each comment...challenge accepted!!

Kim said...

Yeah, and I am now reminded once again that I'm not one of the funny Bates! It's okay, I'm used to it.

Peggy Dee said...

Sorry Kim. You're funny too. You really are. I think they're just louder... even in print!

Samantha said...

I'm glad you posted this because I wanted to comment on your last blog but had read it on my phone and was going to wait until I was at a computer. I liked all of the books, but I very much agree with your assessment. I had a conversation about it with Cali-and she hasn't commented so I'm going to steal her answer.

It wasn't really well written. The first book was good and showed good potential. But then people showed interest in turning it into a movie, so the author just pushed out the next two books with a movie script in mind, instead of caring about things like character development. (for example-We should've been bawling our eyes out when her little sister died...but we hadn't invested much into her because we didn't know her. right?)

Anyway, that's how we felt about it (do you like that I answered for Cali and I? Those were mostly her words which I agreed with. Which means I'm probably speaking for ash too since we all think the same.)

Peggy Dee said...

Sam - I agree with you "three" totally. There should have been a good cry there at the end but I felt nothing. It's not that I minded all the things that happened in the end, it's just the way they happened or should I say the underdeveloped way in which they happened. Thanks for playing!

ashleyboice said...

Haha...

I just wanted to say that I read out loud your views on dieting but I haven't started the hunger games series yet (whatt...I know, I have been putting it off) so I had to skip the rest of your post.

I totally agree about your dieting comments that is exactly how I feel.

Angie said...

Peggy, don't pacify Kim...she can't be "the skinny one" and "the funny one"...it's just not possible. :)

::lindsay said...

So I completely agree with the comment thing. I love to get comments too. Funny how when my comments started dwindling, I kinda lost interest in blogging a bit. Sometimes I'm not the best commenter because I look at people's posts quite often on my phone and apparently get to lazy to type comments on my phone. I know, LAZY! It's not like it's hard to comment on the phone.

Yeah, and of course, Angie and Jared are the witty ones! People will often tell me they love my blog because my husband writes the best posts. Like whatever, peeps....he's written like maybe 5, 10, out of the like 300 posts on the blog....If you keep giving him props, Peggy, he's gonna get a big head! :)

As for Hunger Games series, I completely agree with you. I totally thought Hunger Games was the best one. I was still entertained though, by the other 2. I wasn't expecting Pulitzer prize winning material. I liked it for what is was---fun, escapist literature. Mockingjay was fine to me, I was entertained, yet at the end, it felt rushed and kinda empty. I finished it and yet wasn't satisfied, like how you often are when you finish a book.

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

SO 100% RIGHT! I am a skim reader...I just can't get it all done! I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! I really do!!! Keep up the good work...and I will try and repent. Heck, who needs SLEEP!

Earl Family said...

I laughed so hard about your dieting comments. :) SO true. So true.

I love that you just put it right out there about Blog commenting. Amen Sista!

Love your blog by the way.

Kimberley said...

OK Peggy,
I am leaving my comment. I haven't read these books but everyone keeps talking about them, so after reading your blogs about them, I will be hunting them down and reading them. I'll let you know what I think.

Debbie said...

I am one of those people you barely know (if that!)but since you asked for comments from blog stalkers ... Kacey and my youngest daughter Rachel were in grade school together. I read Kacey's blog because of the funny kid antics and the talent she shows in writing about them (ala Erma Bombeck); they are the same age as my grandchildren and it is fun to watch them grow. Then I got to yours by a link from hers and I check here once in a while. Better than TV most days! So now you know.

Peggy Dee said...

Debbie - so sweet of you to comment! Thanks!!!