Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kendall wins the title Distinguished Young Woman

Hey everybody! This is Kendall and for my mother's birthday I am going to make a whole blog about me and how wonderfully amazing I am. I know the whole family just did a blog post for her mother's day gift but she liked it so I'm just going to stick with it. Besides she's impossible to shop for. Or at least I think, I've never actually tried it before... (haha modern family)
Alright so this blog is a little behind the times since I received my title April 16. But that's okay I'll get you all caught up.
So as I said the program was April 16. The program was a lot of fun because all of the six contestants either had been a friend of mine or we became friends. Still I had been under the impression that family would come up to visit since it was such a big night for me. Sadly that was not the case. Sure I'm the last one in the family that can participate in the program and sure I was there supporting all of them but still I'm not important enough to come watch. Hahah no really it was because everyone would already be missing school and work for the cruise coming up in the next week they couldn't come up (Or so they tell me). But we did get Aunt Julie and Kristy to come up from Seattle!

The program was a Rockstar theme so for opening number we had eighties outfits. Eighties and rockstar pretty much go together right???

After that came the poise section of the night. We had so many different color of dresses up there and they were all beautiful! It was a great year for poise. And at the end of poise a group of boys came out and sang to us.

After that came talent. My talent was a clogging dance where I played a birthday girl who had just gotten dumped by her boyfriend moments before her big party. I absolutely LOVE my dance. It is so much fun and the crowd was perfect and made just the right sympathetic sounds.

Fitness was last and all I can say about that workout dance is that I made it through with a smile on my face! Although I've been told my facials need to be calmed down just a little. Apparently open mouthed smiled is not what they wanted to see every time I turned back to face the front....

After a fun filled night, it was finally time for the awards ceremony. The spirit of distinguished young women went to Avery Maxfield. The talent award went to Dayna Bergeson. The fitness award went to Samantha Calder. The interview, self-expression, and scholastic award went to me. At long last the results were read and Samantha got second finalist, Dayna got first finalist, and I got the title of Moses Lake's Distinguished Young Woman. No I did not get a crown. In fact, not only did I not get a crown but my medallion was actually sewed backwards. But hey, who's complaining?

I got a lot of congratulations, compliments on my dress, praise for my adorable solo... Yeah I really enjoyed that night.

Now I have had my title for about two months and I've gotten to do some fun things with it. First I got to be in a car for the lilac parade with America's DYW Rianne Jones. Then I got to run the chalk on the block for spring festival with my court (I think we did more drawing than anyone else there). After that we got to judge all the other floats that came to participate in our parade. And finally we got to be in our parade.


A funny story about our float... Originally our float was going to be a spring garden theme. We were all going to get to wear our beautiful colorful formals on it. I was very excited for it! Then Osama got killed. That one event led to our float changing from a bright happy float, to a more solemn patriotic float. And, we had to get brand new dresses. Luckily, it ended happily and we had a very nice patriotic float that our beautiful red, white, and blue dresses added the sparkle it needed.


Now I need to start preparing for state which is August 6.... Way too soon!!


Thank you so much mom for all your love and support! I could never have done it without you. Happy Birthday!!

7 comments:

Samantha said...

Love the post. Happy birthday aunt peggy!

Kacey Nielsen said...

Good for your Kendall! I wish I could say, "just wait mom, there is more to come!" but unless you have more than two creative, thoughtful children (Kendall and I of course) than this just might be it. We love you!

Kylie said...

The pictures didn't quite capture what a downer your float is haha we needed a picture of it next to the candyland float!

Happy Brithday mom we love you so much! and were super proud of you kendall!

Kristy said...

It was so much fun cheering you on Kendall. Your talent was awesome! Looking forward to state. Actually, no that's a lie (it's a 5 hour drive) but regardless I'll be there.

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

Yeah for Kendall and Yeah for Peggy's B-day!

Peggy Dee said...

Thanks Kendall - for the post, for the memories of that weekend and for the birthday present. I love you!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday, Peggy!

Congrats, Kendall! YOUR DRESS IS AMAZING. Seriously. I want it.