Sunday, February 7, 2010

Face 2 Face Tour

Last night we saw Elton John and Billy Joel in concert! The show was originally planned for Nov. 6th but had to be rescheduled due to Elton John being sick. I believe it was "exhaustion". Just kidding. I think they said it was the flu, which these days no one questions... lucky for celebs.

So David heard about the concert and just had to go. I wasn't as excited because I'm pretty cheap when it comes to concerts. I only want to go if the price is low and I can sit somewhere near the front so as you can imagine, I don't go to many concerts.

So David starts looking for tickets and, of course, they are expensive. So he starts looking on Ebay (which I like to refer to as "Oy Vay") and finds some floor seats that are very expensive but not nearly as expensive as other floor seats so he bids on them and gets them with the plan to sell them and buy regular seats with the profits or something like that. Just for the record, I said "Bad idea, don't do it." Surprise, surprise - he didn't listen to me. He was like a madman (across the water) and just started buying and selling all these tickets. Then the concert gets rescheduled! Anyway, we ended up sitting in the floor seats because he couldn't sell them for the profit that he was hoping (say it with me... "I told you so") but they were good seats so I got half of what I wanted. We took Kristy and Trevor with us and my sister Julie. They were slightly further up in cheaper, though still expensive, seats. I wish we could have sat together. We had a great time, though.

Billy Joel was the first concert I ever went to. I was a junior or a senior and it was in Salt Lake City. I think my ticket was $8 for the cheap seats. That price makes me feel really old! It was a great concert though. Since being married, David and I have seen both Elton John and Billy Joel separately in concert many years ago. We are big fans of both of their music. Elton John was so big when I was in 7th and 8th grade. Bennie and the Jets takes me right back to 7th grade. It's amazing how music has the power to do that!

The concert opened with both of them playing and singing together and they took turns doing each other's songs. Then Elton played for about an hour. Then Billy played for at least an hour. Then they came back together for the last 3 or 4 songs. They ended with Piano Man and it was so good.

Elton's set got a little long. Rocket Man went on foreverrrrr. He never said one word. He sounded okay but no personality at all. Billy Joel came on and he was personable and funny and actually spoke to us. That is my biggest pet peeves at concerts. If the artist or band doesn't say anything and have any interaction with the audience, it's so disappointing. I can turn on your CD at home if I just want to listen to your music! So Billy apologized for having to reschedule. The concert was in Seattle and he thanked the people who were sitting in Spokane (referring to the seat way in the back) so that was pretty funny. He sounded great! He was running around the stage and playing When the Saints go Marching In in the middle of one of his songs and stuff like that. They both hobbled on and off the stage a bit but Billy still managed to get around pretty good. I have to say that Billy was a lot better than I expected him to be. Elton was more like what I expected, his age was really showing.

Some of my favorites from last night - Still Rock and Roll to Me, Crocodile Rock, Only the Good Die Young, Daniel, Your Song, We Didn't Start the Fire, Piano Man

Here are a few pictures. The first picture is the only one I took myself with my Iphone. I love the way they say "No Camera or recording devices" and so I leave my camera in the car and everyone in the place has a camera! The other pictures I took off the internet but they look exactly like what I saw last night except the outfits were a bit different.











The concert started at 7:30 and ended about 11. There was a lot of great music! I am glad that my husband doesn't always listen to me when I say no!!

3 comments:

Angie said...

such a good concert! Billy Joel was definitely my favorite.

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

Sounds like it was a blast! Got to love those husbands.

lysh said...

I went to a Billy Joel concert several years ago and it was one of my favorites. He is so talented!