Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Need a repair woman?

Oh blog... how I've missed you! I miss keeping a record of my life and I miss keeping up with everyone else's lives!!

I don't have any good explanation other than it has just been a busy busy summer. I have so many great pictures to post and I hope to get around to them soon. Some of my children may be very disappointed in my tardiness (cough - Kacey) and I don't blame them! All is well but there just hasn't been time to document the summer. I hope to, though. I was very concerned that my followers (all 3 of them!) were missing me but Jared Bates set me straight on that one. Ouch!

I don't have time to start my summer recap yet, but I will share my interesting happening of the day. I got up this morning and discovered that my refrigerator wasn't working - ugh! It was all dark but still pretty cold so it couldn't have been off for long. We have a built-in, side by side refrigerator/freezer that is 12 years old. Our house is at that magical age when everything is starting to break down and I have been worried about the day that fridge would start giving us trouble because it is so massive and built-in. But... guess who fixed it? That's right, me!

I checked the fuse box - nothing blown. Darn! Then I fiddled with a panel on the top that I thought I remembered came off and it did. I found a switch up there that was on and I turned it to off. Then I got out the manual (yes - I read manuals and I'm proud of it) and followed instructions for vacuuming out the coils. Then I turned back on the switch and voila! I was so, so happy and proud of myself.

Where was the "man" of the house you ask? Well, when I told him the fridge wasn't working he gave me a puzzled look and walked over to the refrigerator side (of the side by side) and opened it up and saw that it was all dark and closed it. Then he turned to me and asked (I kid you not), is the freezer not working either? (It's a side by side people - one unit!) My husband is many wonderful things, but handy around the house is not one of them. I told him that if he didn't have 7 kids, he might be asked to surrender his "man" card. Luckily, we compliment each other.

We swap the conventional male/female stereotypes quite often. He likes to stop and ask directions before he's even lost, and I would prefer to drive around for an hour rather than ask someone. He likes to shop at the grocery store and I hate it. He loooves Bath and Body Works and I rarely go in there. (I certainly don't go in there with him - it's embarrassing. If you don't believe me, ask the kids. I'm sure when the salesclerks see him they are looking around for the other half of "My Two Dads!") He loves to travel and is willing to do all of the planning and would leave at the drop of a hat, and I fret about being gone from work. (Which one is the doctor again?) Not to fear, though, he is all male when it comes to golf and how much time should be spent pursuing that activity. So his masculinity is indeed intact! You gotta love him!!!

I miss you all! I hope to have more time soon. Suffice it to say that all is well and life is good and I hope it is the same for all of you!

7 comments:

Angie said...

I am so proud of you!! I too am quite proud when I can fix things on my own.

oh, and I can attest to David's love of bath and body works...us ladies at the office have to hide our smelly lotions, for fear that he will take them for his own use. :)

Kacey Nielsen said...

"Hey (enter daughters name), you smell nice. What are you wearing?" says Dad.

"(such and such) lotion, actually."

"I am going to have to get me some of that..." he always says.

There is just no way not to love that guy!

Kristy said...

Impressive job fixing the fridge. My favorite Bath and Body Works Dad story is when he was looking for the popular "purely silk" line but didn't know its name. So with a store workers help he went through every lotion they had. The best part was that he mocked just about all the potions he tried. He'd say things like: "Ugh, that feels terrible. I want my hands to be silky smooth." It wasn't embarrassing at all.....Gotta love him!

Cali said...

I love David so so much! Peggy, you are my hero...broken fridges usually mean HUGE bills.

lysh said...

I have completely missed your blogs! You had me laughing so hard. Then I read your girls comments and I was laughing so hard I was crying. Thank you so much for that post. I needed that. I do love your husband!!

Kathy’s Korner said...

My favorite question is: "it the freezer broken, too?" That is my life. Usually if something needs fixed around here I am also the one who does it. But Hooray! Glenn just fixed a big hole in the pool liner and he does all the chemical testing of the pool, I just don't have the patience for it!

dirty>south said...

i'm glad we're not the only couple who switches roles. last week lindsay taught Kaiya how to ride a bike while I gardened.